I have officially survived my first weekend in Daegu.
On Friday I trekked out to the Daegu Art Museum (DAM), which was a curious place. First of all the museum is very far removed from the city, which might explain the total lack of people. The grounds felt abandoned and I had this feeling like I'd walked onto the set of a post-apocalyptic zombie movie. Adding to the strange ambiance was the opera music blasting throughout the park surrounding the museum. Upon entering the museum I realized there were actually about 5 others there to enjoy the art. And it was fantastic.
This is the main exhibit - wooden crates hung from the ceiling of a room about about the size of a school gymnasium. It smelled wonderful.
Self-Drinking Water.
You can always tell a Milford Museum - patrons should be neither seen nor heard.
I felt like a creep, but I needed a picture of these miniature bathroom stalls, CUTE.
Korizzle
...Can someone take my picture?
An amazing exhibit featuring young Deagu artists, it made the whole trip worth while.
This made me feel at home.
The artist describes these works as a commentary on contemporary vanity and the spiritual absence of lives filled with objects and artificial colour. The canvas is filled with beautiful imagery and colours, but the figure looks empty with eyes out of focus.
This was my favourite installment!
Each orb is playing the captured sound of wind, leaves, breathing, or water. The artist wanted to create a place of solace called "haewuso," where viewers can rest and tell their stories (written on the little pieces of paper inside the chair).
Walking through here was magical.
This piece is comprised of three large sheets of paper packed with circled German words. The artist was learning the language while studying abroad.
I couldn't find the shuttle from the museum to the subway and had to walk back, which took about 30 minutes. I was not pleased but the view was nice.
I also had my first Galbi (Korean BBQ) experience this weekend, and boy did I love it. Like, I LOVED it. I'm galbi for crazy. Galbi all the time. It was pretty neat going to Sesh's local spot because the owner gave us a personal greeting and some extra candies when we left. The waiters were all 16-20 year old boys who mocked me for creating a small fire on the grill while cooking the beef, such a foreigner.
This little boy was going crazy for Sash and I, he made the experience
even more special.
Here are some street cats that I'm totally infatuated with.
How can you not love that malicious little face?
xo
ro
No comments:
Post a Comment